Los Angeles, CA 90033
INPATIENT FACILITY CODER – CODINGAID/MANAGED RESOURCES INC.
Part-Time/Full-Time | Remote| Permanent
With oversight from the department manager and exercising independent judgment within the scope of their professional practice, the Inpatient Coder performs a variety of tasks associated with coding physician charges and providing coding education to providers in that area.
Duties include hands-on coding, documentation review for internal and external audits, coding dictionary updates, rejections and denials, surgical coding, physician or other care provider education, and other coding needs for ICD-10 and CPT® coding of inpatient and outpatient professional charges.
CodingAID/Managed Resources Inc. is a leading consulting group assisting healthcare organizations nationwide in optimizing its revenue cycle management through review, recovery and educational programs.
Please read the below description and apply if you meet the requirements and would like to hear more about this opportunity with Managed Resources.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Provides review and/or coding of any professional services including but not limited to surgeries, encounters, and diagnostic services for appropriate use of CPT®, ICD-9, ICD-10, HCPCS, and Modifier usage/linkage as well as provide ICD-9 or ICD-10 coding where needed for handwritten/missing diagnoses.
- Provides same for areas where work files are used. In areas where paper is used, reconcile daily charges against log (if available/applicable) to ensure daily capture of coding charges expected. Productivity and accuracy for work file and non-work file standards must be met according to guidelines set by manager.
- Review and assist in updates of coding dictionaries/encounter forms/charge slips as needed for accuracy of CPT®, HCPCS and ICD-10 Coding.
- Periodic review of codes, at least annually or as introduced or required
- Answers and responds accurately and timely to questions on the telephone, voice mail, and e-mail
- Reports regularly on daily activity, productivity, and findings of reviews/rejections/education via electronic file or database, e-mail, paper, or other means as required by manager.
- Confers regularly with physicians/care providers, clinical or ancillary managers, coders, or other staff through departmental staff meetings, one-on-one meetings, and/or daily interactive communication to respond to and educate providers on specific departmental and clinic wide coding issues and updates including but not limited to the coding hotline and/or the coding website.
- Participates in new physician/care provider orientation as well as provide follow-up reviews and education for the new physician/care provider if applicable for the area of responsibility.
- Provides feedback, recommendations, and participates as the coding representative for the Professional Coding Department on the Revenue Cycle Teams as requested by manager.
- Provides feedback to the physician/care provider and/or Project Director/Administration as instructed.
- In areas where hands-on coding is performed, documentation review is ongoing, and feedback will be provided to the Project Director and/or other Team Personnel as instructed.
Education & Professional Development:
- Stays updated and current on CMS, AMA and Local Coverage Determinations (LCD’ s), to ensure compliance with coding guidelines.
- Stays current on CCI Edits, Medicare Bulletins, Medicare' s yearly fee schedule, Medicare Website, and specialty newsletters.
- 5+ years experience in Inpatient Coding
- CCS, AHIMA Certified
- Solid communications skills with medical staff/providers
- Works well in a collaborative environment
- Strong computer skills
- Experience working remotely a strong plus
- High School Diploma or GED, plus additional specialized training associated with attainment of a recognized Coding Certificate including Medical Terminology, Anatomy and Physiology, and coding coursework.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Excellent Verbal and Written Communication skills required.
- Excellent Presentation Skills Required.
- Basic computer skills required.
CodingAID/Managed Resources Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) M/F/D/V/SO